Page 2 of  4


Eve Leary
11th September, 1963.
Assistant Commissioner of Crime,

I have investigated nineteen reports of crimes which occurred between the 8th June, 1963 and 21st July, 1963 which include placing explosives to building, destroying building with explosives and arson. I am of the opinion that there is evidence to support a charge of conspiracy, contrary to section 34 of the Criminal Law (Offences) Ordinance, Chapter 10. The following persons are involved in the crime:-

Claude Graham of Perseverance, E.C.D.
L.F.S. Burnham, of A183 Robins Place, East Bel Air Park.
Hamilton Green of 58 Howes St., Charlestown.
Ivan Williams of 312 East Ruimveldt.
Nabo Hunte of 85 Murray St., Georgetown.
Vibart King of 237 Alexander St., Lacytown.
John Aleinder of 2A Queens Street, Cummingsburg.
John Henry Thijis of 75 Costello House, La Penitence.
Samuel Hamilton called Big Uncle of Golden Grove.
Leslie Lawson of Anns Grove, E.B.D.
Sidney Ifill of 138 Garnett St., Newtown, Kitty.
Maurice Edinboro of Lodge Village.
Herman Cobenna of Kitty.
Rupert Smith of 140 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.
Llewellyn John of 65 Church Road & David St., Subryanville.
Dr. Ptolemy Reid of 18/12 bel Air Park East.
Royden Field Ridley of Hadfield St.
Gordon Parris of West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.
Richard Ishmael of 211 Camp &New Market Streets.
Michael Dorne of 345 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.
Charles Nedd of 345 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.
One Williams of Alexander Village, East Bank Demerara.
Patrick Gill of Bagotstown, East Bank Demerara.
William Carto of 204 New Market St., Georgetown.
Basil Blair of KK Hadfield St., Wortmanville.
and other persons whose identities are known.

The facts are as follows:-
On Saturday the 6th April, 1963, between 8.30 a.m. and 12 midnight, Corporal 5207 Murray of special branch attended a party which was held under the house occupied by Constable 4958 Alexander of Prince William Street, Plaisance, E.C.D. There he saw Deputy Superintendent of Police, Claude Graham. They had a conversation, during the conversation Graham impressed Corporal Murray that he was a strong supporter and confidential member of the People's National Congress of which L.F.S. Burnham is the Leader. Graham told the Subordinate Officer that the People's National Congress had formed a secret security force on the 1st April, 1963, headed by him, (Graham). Edward Van Genderen was his deputy and that effects were being made to get James Phoenix, ex Senior Superintendent of Police to join them.

The force would be established all over the Colony and its functions would be:-

To collect all types of information.
To screen Party executives, employees and activists.
To organise gangs to commit sabotage in time of tension and to answer to the P.Y.O. (Progressive Youth Organization).
To protect People's National Congress executives and other party personalities.
To train their members in the use of arms with the main emphasis being on shot guns, pistols and rifles which would be most needed in the event of Civil War.

The organization was interested in having agents in other political parties, the Police Force, especially the Special Branch, Civil Service and other Govt Departments. Efforts are being made to obtain funds and arms from abroad. They were wise of the activities of the People's Progressive Party.

On the 4th May, 1963, at 5.45 a.m., Asst. Commissioner Puttock, Deputy Supt. Fraser and other Policemen went to Congress Place with a search warrant. At 6.45 a.m. Hamilton Green went there. The search warrant was read to him and the place was searched. They found the following:-

A quantity of ammunition.
A B.S.A. 122 Rifle No. 64791.
5 target discs.
A piece of paper with drawing.
A plan.
A booklet concerning Baby Browing Pistol.
One sheet of type-written instructions concerning military training.
A fore and back site gauge diagram.

The articles listed from (iii) to (viii) were found in a desk drawer. Hamilton green said that the desk was used by Claude Graham. A quantity of offensive weapons were also found in the building. Those articles were removed to C.I.D. Headquarters.

On the 7th May, 1963, Claude Graham came to C.I.D. Headquarters at the invitation of Deputy Supt. Fraser. He was shown the articles listed from (iii) to (viii). He was told that the articles were found in the drawer of a desk in an office at the People's National Congress Headquarters in the presence of Hamilton Green and information was received from Hamilton Green that the desk in which the articles were found was used by him (Graham) to carry out his duties as Security Officer for the Party. Graham denied all knowledge of the articles, but agreed that the handwriting on the paper marked 'Training Programme', appeared to be similar to his. Graham was then informed that further inquires would be made concerning the organisation described as X 13.

One day in May, 1963, a meeting was held at Congress Place, Carmichael St., between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. by L.F.S. Burnham, Claude Graham and Hamilton Green in the presence of Robert Michell. At this meeting it was decided by these men to use explosives on all Govt. Ministries, the Rice Marketing Board, The Govt. Ferry Stelling, The Govt. Produce Depot, Lombard St. The decision was taken by the men in order to:-

Put all the Ministries out of compliance.
Prevent the scale of foreign goods at the Govt. Produce Depot which would bring revenue to the country.
Forestall the plans of Hon. E.M.G. Wilson who caused the ferry boar to operate.
Destroy the premises of the Rice Marketing Board and the entire stock of rice and equipment in order to stall the progress of the Rice Industry.

After the completion of the meeting, Mr. L.F.S. Burnham mentioned that he had received gifts of dynamite from Joseph Aaron, Percy Carroll, Eugene Correia, Alexander Williams and William Blair. He pointed to a case which was in Congress Place when he had made mention of the gifts, of dynamite. Two days later, Robert Michell saw several similar cases in a large case in the kitchen section of the office of Clarke & Martin. One day later, in the very month Ivan Williams told him (Robert Michell) in the presence of Rupert Smith, that L.F.S. Burnham asked him to search for a man who was trustworthy and could be used for setting explosives at the Rice Marketing Board. Later Ivan Williams told him that he had made contact and he had to go back later the very day. At 4.25 a.m. that day, he (Robert Michell) went to the home of Ivan Williams who said that he was getting ready to go to the Leader because the chaps decided to do the job. Beatrice Rowlands, the reputed wife of Naboth Hunte also known as Norbert Hunte, spoke to him (Robert Michell) as a result of what she told him, he told Ivan Williams and Rupert Smith of the fear of Beatrice Rowlands over the job given to Naboth Hunte. Ivan Williams then said that the woman was troublesome.

At about 5.30 p.m. that day he (Robert Michell) went to the Office of Clarke & Martin at Brickdam there he met L.F.S. Burnham, Claude Graham and Mr. Noore, the Clerk in charge of the Office. While they were there Naboth Hunte arrived followed by Hamilton Green and the son of Rev. Trotman. L.F.S. Burnham told Naboth Hunte to go back to work, at all cost at the Rice Marketing Board.

On the 8th June, 1963, at about 8.30 a.m. Robert Michell went to the Office of Mr. Burnham. There he met L.F.S. Burnham and Claude Graham. In a conversation Mr. Burnham said that they must decide to be ruthless and whatever came they must be prepared to abide with the consequences; they had to use things against the PPP. They must destroy them by means of sabotage and hand grenades must be collected as early as possible.

At about midday the same day (8/6/63) Clement Thompson was called from New Market Street to Transport House (a Union Hall) at Urquhart St., by Vibart King of 237 Alexander Street, Lacytown. He went to the Union Hall and met King and one Tall Boy there. King told him in the presence and hearing of Tall Boy that they wanted to go under the Rice Marketing Board to do a job but they did not know the place. He (Vibart King) was aware that he (Clement Thompson) knew the area and enquired from him if he could take them there. Clement Thompson agreed and it was arranged that the three of them should meet at the said union hall at night fall.

The very day at about 4.30 p.m., Robert Michell went back to the office and met Hamilton Green, L.F.S. Burnham and Naboth Hunte. L.F.S. Burnham handed $46:- to Naboth Hunte. Claude Graham and Hamilton Green took Naboth Hunte to the passage near the kitchen and Hamilton Green handed Naboth Hunte a maroon handbag which was laden with something. He had seen the bag before in the office of Hamilton Green at Congress Place, Carmichael St. Mr. Burnham asked him how he would carry the things and Hamilton Green said that the distance from the office to Breda St., was not far. Michell went away with the son of the Rev. Trotman and Naboth Hunte met them at Breda St., talking. He went away leaving Naboth Hunte and Trotman on the street. The time was about 6.30 p.m.

At 7.30 p.m. on the 8th June, 1963 Clement Thompson went to the Union Hall. There he met Vibart King and Tall Boy with two handbags containing explosives; one William and another man was present. One of the handbags was a maroon one. He took them to Rahaman's Saw Mill's wharf, they boarded the boat Parakeet and later went under the Rice Marketing Board wharf. There King climbed on the shoulders of Tall Boy and set dynamite with long fuses. These were taken from the handbags. King started to light the fuses but with some difficulty. He (Thompson) left them there and went to Rahaman's Saw Mill and got matches. He gave then the matches and went away. He has assisted them voluntarily. He was not paid by anyone. On the 9th June, 1963, the Russian Ship 'Kirovish' arrived alongside the Rice Marketing Board wharf. Labourers were employed on the ship by Charles Inca, a ship steward from the Guiana Import Export Corporation. Among those who were employed was Naboth Hunte.

On 10th June, 1963, Ole and Thompson went back under the Rice Marketing Board wharf to steal rice and he saw the charges of dynamite there. On the same day between 6.00 p.m. and 7.00 p.m. while Abdool Majeed and Basheer, Security Guards of the Rice Marketing Board were on duty searching under the wharf of the rice Marketing Board they saw a lighted fuse. The fuse was out and several parcels of explosives were found under the wharf between that time and 1.00 a.m. on the 11th June, 1963. Seventy nine sticks of blasting gelatin with fuses and detonators were found there under the wharf beams. The maroon handbag was found under the wharf on the mud. Those articles were handed over to Percy France, the Chief Security Guard, who handed them over to Deputy Supt. Fraser and Asst. Supt. Welcome. These were kept at the magazine at Kelly Dam. Photographs were taken by 5160 Sergeant Williams of the spots where the explosives were found. One day after the explosives were found at the Rice Marketing Board, L.F.S. Burnham told Robert Michell that it was a god thing that he did not pay off Naboth Hunte as it appeared as if he sold them out.

Naboth Hunte was found by the Police on the 30th June, 1963. He was told of the information at the disposal of the Police. He was cautioned and he made a statement which was taken down by Inspector Simon. The statement was read over to him. He said that it was true and correct and he signed his name to it. He admitted that he worked on the Russian Ship when the explosives were found. He is a blaster but he never had possession of the explosives and the handbag. The last time he visited the office of L.F.S. Burnham was on the 6th June, 1963.

The Transport and Harbours Dept. has its head office at Main Street, Georgetown. At the yard Adolphus Bleaman was employed as a watchman on the night of the 16th June, 1963, and the morning of the 17th June, 1963. George Washington was also employed there that night and early morning as a standby chauffeur. These two men made periodical checks in the compound and building.

At 5.10 p.m. on the 17th June, 1963, while they were on the premises there was a loud explosion at the south western corner of the middle flat of the building. The explosion damaged the western wall, the toilet pipe and widows near the records office of the Dept. Captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives visited the scene at about 7.30 p.m. the same day. He did not find any fragments. He is of the opinion that the charge which caused the explosion consisted of several sticks of gelignite, detenator and a short fuse. Constable 6132 Young took samples of the debris and removed a tin from the scene. These articles were sent to the Govt. Analyst for examination.

Doren Cinema was a wooden building at Vlissengen Road, owned by the Indian Overseas International (B.G.) Ltd. It was valued at $163,000:- and insured in the name of Jagat Persaud in the sum of $100,000:- against fire, lighting, full explosion, riot, strike and malicious damage.

On 21st June, 1963, there was a show at the cinema which ended at about 9.50 p.m. The cinema was locked and the following persons slept in it:-

Rajnaith Kumar
Zainool Khan

The latter went to the cinema to sleep at about 11.00 p.m. At about 12.45 a.m. on the 22nd June, 1963, the building was discovered on fire and Bharrat who is the father of Rajnauth Kumar, who is known as Kenneth awoke the occupants of the cinema. At that time the fire was on the northern wall and on the screen.

The Fire Brigade arrived and put out the flames but the building was destroyed. In the debris a one gallon can and two bottles were found. They smelt of gasolene. One shelltox can was fund containing gasolene. These were sent to the Govt. Analyst. The wiring and electrical equipment were checked about three month before the fire. They were in good order. About four days after the building was destroyed by fire, John Alsender of 2A Queen Street, Cummingsburg, confessed to Clement Thompson at Belvedere Hotel that he and a man from Alberttown had set the Cinema afire and Vibart King and Richard Ishmael did not want to pay him. Hon Alsender is the holder of a membership card No. 19097 of the Lodge Group of the People's National Congress.

On the 19th June, 1963, John Henry Thijis and Vibart King took Clement Thompson from Transport House to De Freitas Stone Crushing Plant, Water Street by motor car PA 606 owned by Thijis. Thijis showed him the M.V. Makouria which was moored at the Ferry Stelling, Stabroek, and told him in the presence of King that he wanted him to blow up the propeller or the rudder of the said ship. He told Thijis that the job could not be done because he had to do some diving and the tide was low. Thijis took him back to Transport House. Thijis had promised him a bonus of $25:- per week if he had done the job.

On Saturday, 22nd June, 1963, during the afternoon hours at Congress Place, Carmichael Street, Samuel Hamilton called BIG UNCLE, Leslie Lawson and four members of the PNC Saboteur Gang had a discussion in the presence of Robert Michell. Hamilton said that Claude Graham had given them instructions to go to the Ferry Stelling four o'clock the following morning to carry out an attack on the ship Makouria.

On the 23rd June, 1963, Nathaniel George was on the ship Makouria asleep near the wheel house. Ewald Calder, a sailor was on the ship. George Singh was a watchman on the ship and Sydney was a watchman in the enclosure of the stelling. At about 5 a.m. there was an explosive on the selling near the ship Makouria which rocked the vessel and damaged a portion of the stelling and the electrical mechanism of the gantry. At that time the watchman, Sydney Ifill was outside the enclosure of the stelling which was not his post. The explosion caused Nathaniel George, Ewald Calder and George Singh to leave the ship. When they got on the stelling they saw the damage. They also saw an African man within the enclosure of the stelling. This man escaped as other persons went to the scent. A search was made for him without success.

The scene was visited by Captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, on 23rd June, 1963. He is of the opinion that the explosion was caused by a parcel of gelignite which exploded at the junction of two large beams causing the greater part of the damage to be above. No fragments were found by him.

On 23rd June, 1963, at about 6.30 a.m. Robert Michell was told something by Bonny Limpy at the Office of Clarke & Martin. As a result of that he went to Congress Place. There he met Samuel Hamilton and others. They had a discussion and Hamilton said that he had gone to the Ferry Stelling earlier with Leslie Lawson to blow up the boat. They found it impossible to get at the boat so they set twelve sticks of dynamite on the stelling. He went away after setting the charge and left Leslie Lawson there. While he was at Croal & Water Street the explosion occurred. Leslie Lawson laughed at him and called him a coward. Leslie Lawson said that after the explosion he left the stelling and went to the offices of Clarke and Martin. Samuel Hamilton said that as far as he was concerned 'Coward man keeps whole bones.' While the conversation was going on, Maurice Edinboro said that he had spoken to the watchman to allow the men to go in and do the job. Maurice Edinboro is a clerk at the Transport & Harbours Dept. When this matter was being investigated, Sydney Ifill made a statement which was taken down in writing.

Later that very morning, Clement Thompson went to Belvedere Hotel and met John Alexander and two brothers from Alberttown, tall Boy and others drinking. Richard Ishmael was there but not in the company. John Alsender then told Clement Thompson that he and one of the brothers from Alberttown had blown up the stelling and they were then celebrating.

The Ministry of Home Affairs is housed in a wooden building at Brickdam and Magnet Place. On the 23rd June, 1963, Joseph Collymore was employed there as a watchman. At about 7.00 p.m. he made a check around the building and in the compound. He round everything in order. At about 7.45 p.m. he went to the western side of the building under the lamp and commenced to read. While he was there at 8.00 p.m. he heard a loud explosion at the northern side of the building, he went to that side and discovered that the northern side of the building and the zinc paling to the north of the building were damaged. The cost of reconditioning the damaged building is $958.77.

Captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, visited the scene shortly after the explosion and carried out and examination. He found that extensive damage was done to the building by an explosion of a parcel of gelignite about 4 feet from the building, approximately to the center of the rear (north). There was no fragment of the explosive charge. He is of the opinion that a bomb, consisting of gelignite, detonator and fuse, was used to cause the explosion.

Asst. Commissioner of Crime Carl Austin, Corporal 5083 Williams and Police Dog Rio visited the site of the explosion at 8.40 p.m. Corporal 5386 Williams the dog handler and he was trained for the purpose. Rio the dog was trained in obedience, picking up scent, and tracking. Having visited the scent the dog tracked the scent and captured Leslie Lawson in the yard of Clarke & Martin which is the yard immediately east of the said Ministerial Building.

The Asst. Commissioner of Crime told Leslie Lawson that an explosion had occurred at the Ministry of Home Affairs asked him if he had heard the explosion. Lawson said yes that he was in the compound when the explosion occurred. In answer to questions, Leslie Lawson said that he belonged to Anns Grove, E.C.D. and he was a watchman employed by Mr. Burnham. He had gone to the compound (Clarke & Martin) at 6.00 o'clock and never left his post. He was searched by Asst. Commissioner of Crime who smelt his hands. His hands smelt of blasting gelatin or gelignite. Lawson's attention was drawn to that and he said that he had just finished eating. He did not say what he had eaten. He was told by the Asst. Commissioner 'Crime' that he was suspected to be concerned with the setting of the dynamite which caused the explosion. He (Lawson) made no reply. He was arrested and taken to Brickdam Police Station.

On 23rd June, 1963, at about 8.00 .m. Robert Michell was cycling east along Brickdam as he got in the vicinity f the Palms he saw jeep PK 308 which is used by the party, under a tree on the southern side of the road. He went to the jeep and found Herman Cobbenna in the jeep. He asked Herman Cobenna what he was doing there. Cobenna said that the boys had gone out to work. He rode away leaving Cobenna thee. It was found to be harmless and had no connection with the actual explosion. The cotton wool which was out of Nickford Thorman and a tin of kerosene oil were removed to the police and later sent to the Govt. Analyst for examination. The certificate of the Govt. Analyst was not received to date.

The Building of the Ministry of Health and Housing is situated at Brickdam, east of the place where the jeep PK 308 was found parked. In the compound Rickford Thorman worked as a watchman. On Sunday, 23rd June, 1963 at 8 p.m. he locked the gate facing Brickdam, entered the building and closed the main door facing north. He whet into the toilet of the southern side of the building. On his return from the toilet he saw a man standing inside the building near a table which is used by the watchman to write up the log book. The man's back was turned to him. The light on the table had been turned off. As he advanced the man removed from near the table and hid behind the wall. He then saw a fair-skinned man standing near the receptionist's desk. Thorman went up to the man who was hiding behind the wall and asked him what he was doing there. The man was later identified as Leslie Lawson cuffed him and he fell to the floor. The other man joined in beating him.

He shouted for murder and thief but the man continued to beat him and told him to shut his mouth. One man put a piece of cloth to his nose which had a peculiar smell, after doing that he pushed it into his mouth. He wrestled with them and one man said take out the cord. The other said "Not Yet, wait until he sleeps." The men finally ran away, and he Thorman, went outside of the building shouting for thief and murder.

Patrick Dorman, a watchman of the Geological Survey department who worked in the yard immediately west of this Ministerial Building went to his assistance at about 8.30 p.m. on hearing the shouts. He telephone the Police in relation to the incident. Immediately after he heard someone calling at the front gate by Brickdam. He went to the gate and there he saw a man who was later identified as Claude Graham, ex Deputy Supt. Of Police. Graham told him that he had seen three men enter the said compound from the entrance at Hadfield Street, one of then had a box in his hand; they had run out of the compound by the same entrance without the box after the watchman made the alarm. He (Graham) believed the men dropped the box in the compound but he (Dorman) must not tell the Police. Graham then walked away towards D'Urban Race Course.

Thorman attempted to telephone the Police again when an explosion occurred at the southern side of the building, causing damage to it to the extent of $2,135.53. The Police arrived and Rickford Thorman was taken to the Georgetown Hospital where was examined by Dr. F. S. Sankar who found him to be suffering from the following:-

Slight facial swelling.
Abrasions on right index finger caused by blunt instrument.
Mild degree of ulterior chest wall tenderness. The injuries were not dangerous to life.
He remained in hospital until the 27th June, 1963, when he was discharged.

Shortly after the explosion, captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, visited the scene and carried out examination at the site of the explosion. He is of the opinion that a large parcel of gelignite was used. Damage was extensive at the blast site. A gallon tin of Kerosene was found near the area of the explosion. It was found to be harmless and had no connection with the actual explosion. The cotton wool which was out into the mouth of Rickford Thorman and the tin of Kerosene oil were removed to the Police and later sent to the Government Analyst for examination. The certificate of the Government Analyst was not received to date.

On the 24th June, 1963 at about 12.15 a.m. a power pole at Agricola Public Road was damaged by explosives set there by someone. The damage was inspected by Mr. Oscar Nelson, the lines Superintendent of the B.G. Electricity Corporation. He estimated the damage done to the pole at $25:-. Had the pole been cut down the entire area from Meadow Bank would have been cut off from electricity supply.

On Monday 24th June, 1963 at about 8.30 a.m. Robert Michell went to Congress Place, Carmichael Street. There he met Herman Cobenna. He told Herman Cobbenna that he had heard the explosion the night before Cobbenna then told him that he had driven the vehicle (PK 308) from Brickdam, opposite the Palms, to Vlissengen Road then to the house of Hyacinth Goddett. Graham went to her and got over $200:-. They went back to Congress Place where he got $25:- from Graham. He (Cobenna) later drove the jeep to the yard of John Carter, parked it there and went home. Cobenna had said that there were six men including himself. The explosion had rocked the van while he was in it.

On the 24th June, 1963 at about 9.30 a.m. Robert Michell was at the office of Clarke & Martin, Brickdam. Whilst there L.F.S. Burnham called him to his Chambers. They discussed a report which was received from a bailiff. In a report it was mentioned that levy and ejectment warrants were issued against occupiers of houses of Ruimveldt Housing Scheme. L.F.S. Burnham asked him where the records were kept and he told L.F.S. Burnham that so far he knew they were kept at the south western corner of the bottom flat of the building at Waterloo and New Market Sts. While the discussion was going on Claude Graham went to the Office and remained there. L.F.S. Burnham asked him (Michell) to tell Hamilton Green to find where Daniels the Head Bailiff lived so that the squatting could be carried out in front of the residence of Daniels in Murray St. Mr. Burnham had told him that action must be taken immediately.

The Housing & Planning Dept. is situated at the corner of New Market & Waterloo Sts. It is a wooden building which is on pillars about three feet high. It Houses the records of the department and various offices. On the 24th June, 1963, about 10 employees were at work in the office. Between 2.00 p.m. and 3.30 p.m. that day there was a meeting at one of the offices of the building and about 14 persons attended. At about 3.45 p.m. that day as persons were leaving the office there was an explosion under the building which damaged the building and furniture to the extent of $1,500:- Sonny Bajnauth, a clerk, received injuries as a result of the explosion. He was treated at the Georgetown Hospital by Dr. Harrichand who certified that the injuries were not dangerous to life.

On the very day of the explosion, captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, visited the scene. He examined the site and found that the explosion had taken place under the building on a concrete structure. He is of the opinion that a gelignite parcel bomb was used.

On the 25th June, 1963 Robert Michell saw L.F.S. Burnham at his Office and he told him that the explosives was not doing enough damage. He suggested that hand grenades should be obtained from the volunteer Force and other weapons from the Police Force, and asked him to use his influence to see if he could get any grenades.

On 25th June, 1963, between 2.30 p.m. and 3.00 p.m. there was a crowd of people on the street in the vicinity of the Education Department Building at High & Cowan Sts. At the time some of the employees were at work in the building including Rita Singh. At 3.00 p.m. there was a loud explosion under the building which damaged it and some of the furniture to the extent of $627:- Rita Singh who was immediately above where the explosion occurred was injured. She was examined and treated by Dr. Cunningham at Georgetown Hospital. She was found to be suffering from abrasions on both thighs and a contused wound of the right leg. The injuries were not dangerous to life. They might have resulted from blows with bits of wool.

The same day, 25th June, 1963, captain V. Stafford visited, examined the site of the explosion and found a charge of explosives was set under the building. No clues were found as to the method of ignition. The charge consisted of seven to nine sticks of balsting gelignite, a detenator and a short length safety fuse.

On Tuesday, 26th June, 1963, Robert Michell saw Samuel Hamilton at Congress Place, Carmichael St., who told him that he was going away in the country for a few days to breeze off. Hamilton Green came up while they were speaking and told him, Samuel Hamilton, to go to Clarke & Martin to collect money from Cholmondeley. Michell and Samuel Hamilton left on cycles for Clarke & Martin. When they reached by Croal St., they stopped and looked at the destruction of the building of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Samuel Hamilton then told him that he and Leslie Lawson went to the building by walking through the yard from Croal St. They set the charge of explosive, got out before the explosion.

On 27th June, 1963 at 9:15 p.m. Claude Graham was found in jeep PO 37. He was taken to Brickdam Police Station. Graham was told that he was wanted by the Police in relation to a report of setting explosive to the Medical Department on 23rd June, 1963. Graham said that he wanted to leave for Berbice early on Sunday, 23rd June, 1963, but he had to take the jeep to about four persons to get it repaired as a result he was delayed and had to leave later.

On the 28th June, 1963, two identification parades were held at Brickdam Police Station. On these two parades Claude Graham was identified by Patrick Dorman as the man who spoke to him at the gate of the Ministerial Building. These men were later charged with setting explosive to the building (Ministry of Labour Health & Housing). Leslie Lawson was identified by Rickford Thorman as the man who assaulted him in the Ministerial Building.

On the night of the 30th June, 1963, John Hamlet and Moonsammy were the watchmen employed in the yard of the Housing and Planning building. They kept watch on the building and yard. At about 7.45 p.m. John Aslender of 2A Queen Street, Vibart King of 237 Alexander Street, Lacytown, and a man form Alberttown whose name and address were not obtained, went to Belvedere Hotel. Clement was there too. Vibart King gave two men four containers with liquid which smelt like gasolene. He (King) told them to go and burn down the Housing & Planning building at Waterloo & New Market Sts. The men left with the containers to do the job.

At about 1.p.m. on the 1st July, 1963 while the two watchmen were on duty they found a gallon tin by the gate of the yard at Waterloo St. The tin contained gasolene. The matter was reported to the Police and the tin with the contents was handed over to the police. At about 5.40 a.m. the same day an explosion was heard at the south western corner of the building and it was followed by fire. This was in the basement lavatory near the store room. The fire brigade was summoned and the fire was put out. A tin and cloth were found on fire in the lavatory. The walls and books were damaged. The damage done is estimated at $10.00.

On 1st July, 1963 at about 9.30 a.m. John Alsender and his companion went to the Belvedere Hotel where they met Vibart King. They had a quarrel over money. King told them that he had a cheque to be changed. He later paid them. John Alsender had said in the presence of his companion that it was the second attempt on the building and they did not want to pay for the work done. One of the tins which was found was identified as one given to John Alsender and the other man by Vibart King.

On the 2nd July, 1963 at 9.30 a.m. Roy Field held a meeting at the Chambers of Llewellyn John at Stabroek House. The following persons were present:

Rupert Smith
Ivan Williams
Maurice Edinboro and
Robert Michell

Before the meeting commenced, Llewellyn John entered the office. He told them that Mr. Burnham has told him that Mr. Willis had said that he has seen every-thing going normal. The Government had presently reported an increase in finance from trade and only Civil Servants were showing resistance to the Govt. Llewellyn John said that since that was the case the party must show its strength. The people must organise themselves in small teams, go out, close business places and beat people. There must not be any sentiment in the matter the people must be drastic. On this day at 6.30 p.m. a report was received by Senior Superintendent Mc Gill Smith; as a result of that he took a party of Policemen to Albouystown. Africans were stoning the houses of East Indians. He used tear smoke to break up the disorder. He later sent foot patrol in the areas.

52. The Plaza Cinema at Camp St. is owned by Teeluck Singh Theatres Ltd., Port of Spain, Trinidad, and it is managed by Nazrullah Khan of 9 Lamaha St. On 25th June, the Manager received a telephone call from a female who did not give her name or address. She gave him a message as a result of which he informed the Police and employed Fitz Bradford as a watchman.

On 2nd July, 1963, at 7.30 p.m. tickets were sold to patrons of the cinema before the show was commenced. Several persons bought tickets and entered the Cinema. While the show was in progress at about 8.30 p.m. there was an explosion in the gent's latrine of the cinema which is at the bottom flat of the building under the office occupied by Dajnauth Manraj, a film distributor. The explosion damaged the floor beams, gent's toilet, western wall, ceiling and furniture to the value of $4,000:-. The show was stopped as a result of the explosion. No one was injured.
The site of the explosion was examined by Captain V. Stafford and the police the same day. Captain Stafford is of the opinion that gelignite parcel bomb had been place at the angle of two beams in the gents latrine and under the floor. Articles were removed from the site and taken to the Government analyst who examined them and found no explosives or inflammable substance. On a few of the articles, however, there were traces of nitrates. The presence of the nitrates may be explained by the explosion in the vicinity of the articles. Two days after, at Belvedere Hotel, John Alesender confessed to Clement Thompson that he and a man from Alberttown has set the explosive to the cinema. They had wanted to take the screen. The other man was present when the confession was made.

Alice Yearwood of 36 Austin St., Campbellville, is the owner of Amex House which is a two storeyed building situated at Regent St., Georgetown. The bottom flat of the building houses a store and the top flat houses various offices, one being the office of Sheila Burnham, the wife of L.F.S. Burnham, Q.C. On the 2nd July, 1963, at about 4.p.m. the store was closed to business. The store has show windows which were protected by expanding metal. The building and stock in the store were insured with the B.G. & Trinidad Insurance Co. to the value of $81,500:-
On the 2nd July, 1963 at night fall Clement Thompson , Vibart King and a man from Alberttown whose name and exact address were not obtained went to Albouystown as they had arranged to set explosives to Rio Cinema. The man from Alberttown carried explosives with him which included gelatin, fuse and detenator. The act was not carried out on account of the presence of the police who were dealing with a disorderly crowd. Thompson and King drove away in an Esso Van, leaving the man there with the explosives.

Charles Blythe was employed as a watchman on the night of the 2nd July, 1963 at Amex House. He was assisted by his son Charles. On that night at about 10:00 p.m. he and Ranlakhan Singh saw a suspicious Negro man pass the premises on Regent St., on several occasions. At 11.p.m. Charles went there and assisted his father to keep watch. He made his last check on the premises at 12.30 a.m. on the 3rd July, 1963 and found everything in order. Together father and son took a rest at the back of the building.

At about 12.30 a.m. on 3rd July, 1963 William Kennedy was on Regent & Camp Sts. There he saw two African men - one riding a bicycle and the other who was wearing a green terelyne shirt walking beside the one who was cycling. He passed them opposite Amex House going westwards. Kennedy went to Orange Walk to buy bananas. On his way back along Regent St., they turned south in Alexander St. As he was about 150 yards form Amex House when he heard an explosion which came from the direction (Amex House). He went to Amex House and saw the damage that was done. He reported what he saw to constable Meredith. Later he saw the man with the terelyne shirt in Regent St. This man carried an East Indian man on his bicycle northward in Camp St. He and Constable Meredith went in search of the man but did not found him.

The scene of the explosion was visited by Captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, on 3rd July, 1963. He is of the opinion that a small gelignite bomb was used to cause the destruction. There were no fragments from the bomb but there was extensive blackening of the blast area which might have been caused by the use of old explosives or the addition of locally made components.

At about 9.30 a.m. of 3rd July, 1963 Clement Thompson went to the Belvedere Hotel. There he met Vibart King of 237 Alexander St., Lacytown, and the man from Alberttown whose name he does not know. The latter told him that he has set the explosives at Amex House. The damage done to the building and stock is estimated at $2,000.00. No one was injured.

On 3rd July, 1963, there was a discussion on the parapet on the road opposite 14 West Ruimveldt among members of the youth Organization and the adults of the PNC. At the discussion the following persons were present:-

1. Robert Michell
2. Michael Dhorne
3. Charles Nedd
4. Gordon Parris
5. Ivan Williams
6. Mr. Mussenden
7. Rupert Smith

At that time Indians were attacking Africans in the country districts. It was decided that members of the organization at Rumiveldt Housing scheme and Albouystown should attack East Indians and supporters of the PPP in Ruimveldt Housing Scheme. On that night soldiers and Police patrolled the area and the planned attack was called off.

On 3rd July, 1963 at about noon, Ronald Garnett attended a meeting at Stabroek House in the Chambers of Llewellyn John, the Assistant General Secretary of the Party. The following persons attended the meeting:-

(i) Dr. Ptolemy Reid
(ii) Llewellyn John
(iii) Royden Field Ridley
(iv) Maurice Edinboro
(v) Ivan Williams
(vi) Rupert Smith and
(vii) The Secretary

While the meeting was in progress two executive members of the Trades Union Council went to the office and told the persons present that Mr. Willis had said that some proprietors of stores in Water St. had locked out their employees but many of the stores were opened. Things were going back to normal. The economy of the country had dropped considerably and the Trades Union Council was actually preventing a settlement. There was no violence. Mr. Willis had agreed with Dr. Jagan that everything was normal. The meeting broke up then on the decision of Field Ridley. All the persons remained in office. The two trade Unionists said that violence must be started immediately because Mr. Willis would go away with the impression that Jagan was right and the trade union was wrong. A decision was reached that the trade unionists should go back to Transport House to collect the men to carry out violence.

Field Ridley, Llewellyn John and Ivan Williams then decided that messages be sent around to collect activists to go around and carry out acts of violence. The party must show its strength. Messages were sent to persons telling them to go around Georgetown and organize persons in groups to close business places by force and to beat people, thereby causing a general disturbance. Everybody left the meeting place.

Ronald Garnett went to the yard of Clarke & Martin. While he was there, Ivan Williams called him and asked him if he would undertake to do a dangerous mission. He inquired how dangerous the mission was. Ivan Williams told him that the mission was not so dangerous since he only had to accompany a man and watch the exercise and report back to him. Williams said "The men were armed and you have no need to be afraid." He told William he was unarmed and asked him how he would be able to defend himself. Williams said "The men will defend you." Williams then pointed out a man and said "go with this man". Garnett left the yard with the man. He does not know his name and address as that was the first time that he saw him.

The man had a small paper bag with an ovaltine tin in it. They rode bicycles east on Brickdam and during that time the man said that he was going to throw a bomb into the house where the PYO meetings were kept and the PPP were making bombs. He said that he wanted Garnett to stop the wind while he lighted a match. On the way the man stopped, opened the tin and he (Garnett) saw a wick and some pebbles in the tin. The wick had protruded the top of the tin. He did not see everything in the tin.

They went to Croal St., and the man pointed out the house and finally they stopped opposite it. Garnett took the man's bicycle leaned it against a lamp post, rode around to South Road and stood up on the parapet and looked at the man who entered the passageway east of Cyril Seepaul's house. The man lighted the wick of the bomb, threw it through a window into the house, left the yard, took his bicycle and rode away. In the flat of the house where the bomb fell at 1.55 p.m. that day were Lawerence Da Silva, his mother Nellie Seepaul and his sister Elaine. Nellie Seepaul attempted to pick up the bomb but her son pulled her away. The mother and daughter removed from that part of the house and Lawerence Da Silva. As he was about six feet away it exploded and damaged a portion of the house and furniture. The damage done was estimated at $691.92.

The house is insured with the B.G & Trinidad Mutual Fire Insurance Co. Ltd. In the house live Dennis Da Silva, the step-son Cyril Seepaul. He had been charged by the Police jointly with Desmond Premdas and another man for throwing explosive at Unity House. The case against him was since withdrawn.

Captain V. Stafford, an expert in explosives, visited the site of the explosion the same day and found pieces of tin. He is of the opinion that the bomb consisted of a charge of gelignite, put into a sixteen ounce ovaltine tin, detenator and use. Splinters of wood, dust and metal were taken to the Govt. Analyst who examined them and found no inflammable or explosive substance.

Kenneth Kowlessar is an Accountant at the Housing & Planning Dept. He owns a house at 614 East Ruimveldt Housing Scheme valued at $12,000:-In the house he, his wife and family live. The house is insured with the B.G. & Trinidad Mutual Fire Ins. Co. Ltd. On the 5th July, 1963 at about 3 p.m. it was rumoured at West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme that Kenneth Kowlessar had said that most of the people in the Scheme would be thrown out of the houses after the strike because they owed rent. There was nothing in the Labour Relations Bill to cause a strike. On account of that, the following persons held a meeting on the rumor:-

(i) Gordon Parris
(ii) One Williams
(iii) Rupert Smith and
(iv) Robert Michell

After the discussion Gordon Parris and one Williams left the Company to go to East Ruimveldt. They returned to the spot where they had the discussion and Williams left the company. Gordon Parris then gave Rupert Smith something to keep and he too went away. At about 7.50 p.m. that day he (Parris) returned, took the articles back from Rupert Smith and asked which was the best road to take to go to Kowlesssar's house. No one replied. He left the company with a bicycle. About 8.50 p.m. Rafeek Khan and Theresa Paul saw a man on the street opposite the house of Kowlessar. The man lighted something and threw it the house of Kowlessar. The object hit the window sill and fell on the step and exploded causing damage to the house to the extend of $600:- No one was injured. When the bomb was thrown at the house the occupants were in bed and the house was closed. The man who threw the bomb ran away and was joined by another man who had a bicycle. They passed near the house which Rafeek Khan was and disappeared. Captain V. Stafford visited the site of the explosion and carried out an examination. He found pieces of tin at the sited of the explosion. They are consistent with gelignite, detenator and fuse which had been place in a tin.

At 7.45 a.m. on 6th July, 1963 Gordon Parris told Robert Michell that he had operated the night before. The house was closed up and the bomb rebounded on the window sill and fell on the step and exploded. Gordon Parris was taken to Brickdam Police Station sometime after. He refused to give a statement in the matter. He was placed in an identification parade but he was not identified by Theresa Paul.

At 7.45 a.m. on 6th July 1963, Clement Thompson went to the Belvedere Hotel to meet Vibart King. While he was at the Hotel, he saw Richard Ishmael. He told Ishmael about the death of his nephew and asked him for assistance. He was taken to a group of men by Ishmael who introduced him to one of the men. He had a conversation with Richard Ishmael and Ishmael told him that he wanted him to blast away a main pole near the Cigarette Factory at Bel Air. He agreed to do the job and Ishmael told him to go back later that day.

Clement Thompson left the Hotel and returned at about 7.00 p.m. the same day. Richard Ishmael drove around in a car in which was Hamilton Green. When they reached the power pole in Eping Avenue, Ishmael stopped the car. He (Thompson) went out and examined the pole and went back into the car. He was taken back to the Hotel were he was given $20:- and four sticks of gelignite, a detenator and fuse. He was then instructed by Ishmael how to set off the blast, on the pole at10.00 p.m.

Thompson left the Hotel and went to 8 New Market St., where he lived and dispose of gelatin. He did not go to do the job. The following morning he went to the Belvedere Hotel where he met Ishmael. He told Ishmael he went to the power pole to blast it, but the Police shone a torch on him and asked him what he was doing there. He told the Policeman that he was waiting on a woman. Ishmael did not tell him anything. He visited Belvedere regularly and got cigarettes from Ishmael until 27th July, 1963.

Abdool Rahaman is the proprietor of a dry goods store and bakery at lot 51 Evans & Russell Sts. His living quarters are above the bakery and store. He lives there with his wife Kate and seven children. On 12th June, 1963, while the strike was in progress he shot two men in protection of his property.

On the 9th July, 1963 during the morning hours, Michael Dhorne and one Williams said that Rahaman who had shot two men was carrying on business in full swing again. Williams mentioned that they should have knocked him before. Robert Michell who was present told them that their people lived in the area and they might suffer. Williams then said that the plan was set already, the youths were handling the situation.

On 9th July, 1963 at about 10.00 p.m. Rahaman, his wife and children went to bed at their house while bakers were at work in the bakery below their living quarters. At about 12.30 a.m. on 10th July, 1963 Rahaman heard a crash in his house. He went to the bedroom of his wife on the southern side of the house which faced Evans St. He spoke to his wife who was then awake. He heard a hissing sound in the room followed by a loud explosion. His wife began to scream. He switched on the light in the room and saw his wife bleeding. The glass window faces Evans St., as found to be broken and furniture in the room was damaged. He took his wife to the hospital where she was admitted as a patient. The damage done was estimated at $500:- The building is insured against fire and other damage was done in the sum of $5,000:- with the Hand-in-Hand Fire Ins. Co. Ltd. Immediately after the explosion, William Mc Lean, a baker who was on the ground floor of the building, saw two men running away on Evans St., and turned into a yard on the southern side of Evans St. He would not be able to identify them.

On 10th July, 1963, at about 8.45 a.m. Michael Dhorne told Robert Mitchell that the boys operated at Rahaman's place during the early morning hours. He told Dhorne that he had heard the explosion. They met at Congress Place later the same day. Gordon Parris and Samuel Hamilton called BIG UNCLE were present. Hamilton said the operation was a good one at Rahaman's House. They had three bombs to throw but they only threw two, one went inside the house and exploded. The other one did not go off. BIG UNCLE further said that the bomb that he threw went into the house and exploded. Gordon Parris said that his bomb did not explode. Michael Dhorne said that he did not use his bomb, he took it to a friend in East Ruimveldt to keep.

Dr. F.S. Sankar examined Kate Rahaman at Georgetown Hospital where she was admitted and found her to be suffering from the following injuries:-

Central abdominal tenderness.
A large superficial Lacerated wound on the right anterior & later aspect of the thigh.
Multiple superficial lacerated wound on the lower and anterior and lateral aspect of thigh.
A large superficial lacerated wound on the lower and anterior lateral aspect of the thigh.
Multiple small isolated and superficial lacerated wounds on face right left and upper and lower limbs (lateral and medial and finally dorsal aspect of the feet).
The injuries (i) and (v) were caused by explosive substance. No (i) may be dangerous to life at the time of examination. Nos (ii) to (v) are not dangerous to life but will produce permanent scars.

Captain V. Stafford visited the site of the explosion on the same day and found pieces of metal fragments in the room in the room - some were embedded in various articles of furniture and in the bedding. He is of the opinion that gelignite, detenator and fuse in a container with a considerable number of small pieces of metal, one and half sticks of gelignite forming an anti personnel bomb were used to cause the explosion.

On 10th July 1963 at about 5.50 a.m. there was an explosion which damaged an aqueduct at Mocha to the extent of $10,000:- On account of damage done water from the canal which is connected to the aqueduct escaped into another trench. The explosion was apparently caused by timely explosives. The same at about 6.25 a.m. there was another explosion at a Canal at Herstelling which caused damage to the extent of $10,000:- Water from the canal which is connected to the aqueduct escaped into another trench. These aqueducts are owned by the Demerara Company Ltd.

Captain V. Stafford visited the scene of the explosion and found no remains of the containers of the explosives or the fuses. He is of the opinion that the destruction was caused by nine to twelve sticks of gelignite placed near the bottom edge of the aqueducts below the water level in each case. An unexploded time bomb consisting of a tin containing gelignite, detenator and time fuse was found at another aqueduct near by. This bomb was defused by Captain Stafford the same day.

On 10th July, 1963, between 9.30 a.m. Robert Mitchell was in company with Michael Dhorne at Congress Place, Carmichael St. While he was there Patrick Gill arrived and went into the building. Dhorne then told Robert Mitchell that Gill was the head of a gang on the East Bank Dem. He was responsible for setting the dynamite at the aqueducts at Herstelling & Mocha on the very morning but he (Dhorne) did not know the men who did the job with him. Dhorne had said that the action was taken because Sandbach Parker did not support the strike action. Gill joined the company after and told them that the boys that were working in his gang were not working to the plans so he had come down to see Hamilton Green to straighten up things. After saying so he went to the upper flat where Hamilton Green was, spent some time and left.

James Lawson is a pontcon hand employed at the Public Works Dept., Kingston. He occupies Apt. 639 at West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme with his wife Plriselle and step children. The Apt. is a two flat structure. The upper flat houses the bedroom. The lower flat is used as a kitchen and living room. The southern side of the Apt. has glass windows , a street passed on this side of the Apt. The building is enclosed by paling and he rented it from the Housing & Planning Dept. Nothing in the house is insured. They also owned a shop on the main road at West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme.

On 6th July, 1963 at about 8.30 a.m. Michell Dhorne went to Robert Michell at his home and told him that the wife of James Lawson who lived at Apt 639 West Ruimveldt was the person who was pointing out the boys to the Police saying that she saw them beating East Indians. She has a shop on the main road and then had to get her out of the area by destroying her shop and house.

Later the same morning, a meeting was held in the yard of Clarke & Martin. The following persons were present:-

Michael Dhorne
Gordon Parris
Charles Nedd
Williams and
Robert Michell

Michael Dhorne said that if they were ready to attack the woman they would have to notify Llewellyn John twenty hours before and he would supply the explosives to do the job. He xxxxxxxxx on the 7th and 8th July, 1963 to do the job. The men decided to hold another discussion on the 7th July, 1963 on the matter. The discussion was not held. On the 11th July, 1963, at about 7.55 p.m. Michael Dhorne met Robert Michell at West Ruimvledt and told him that the organization was working too slowly. The boys were going to work on Apt. 639 the same night after midnight. Gordon Parris, Charles Nedd and Williams were present then and could have heard what Dhorne said. Dhorne had mentioned that he would have to collect something from Llewellyn John. The wife of James Lawson was working with the Police and everyone who was working against them must be destroyed, even if the person was a brother. At about 9.00 p.m. while the occupiers were on the top flat of the Apt., there was an explosion in the bottom flat of the apartment. Damage was done to the house and furniture, the damage to the household effect being $159:-

On 12th July, 1963 Robert Michell went to the house of Michael Dhorne and told him that he thought that the operation would have been after midnight. Michael Dhorne told him that they boys were anxious to work long before the time of the explosion. He then said that in an my with Williams, Gordon Parris and Charles

Nedd, he went to the cane field at Ruimveldt before the explosion. Gordon Parris threw an incendiary bomb made from an electric bulb in the cane field. There was an explosion. After that they went to Apt. 639 with town Constable John and they threw two bombs in the house of Lawson. He and Gordon Parris had thrown the bombs while Williams, Charles Nedd and John were on the look-out. John had a revolver but he did not know where he got it from.

Captain V. Stafford visited the scene of the explosion on 11th July, 1963 and found one mansion polish tin, a quaker oats tin cover. He is of the opinion that the explosives were thrown from outside the building through the front window and exploded doing damage to the house and furniture. A portion of the charge had fallen out of the tin. The whole charge consisted of one stick of gelignite cut in three pieces.

On 12th July, 1963 at about 4.45 p.m. Robert Michell met Charles Nedd on the Main Road at West Ruimveldt opposite House 140. While they were there in a discussion Charles Nedd told him that on the night of 10th July, 1963 he and Michael Dhorne attempted to burn down the shop belonging to the occupier of Apt. 639 but it was a failure.

One day during the late part of July, 1963 Clement Thompson met Vibart King at the Belvedere Hotel. King told him that he had a big job to do. Thompson asked him what was the job and he (King) told Thompson that he wanted him to blow up the Govt.'s Oil Tanks at Kingston. Malcolm Williams called Joe Young was present. King Mentioned that he would give them shears to cut the wire fence from the river side to go in and set the explosives to the tanks. The job had to be done with the falling tide. Thompson & Williams were to swim from the jetty at Kingston and go to the place with the explosives to do the job. He (King) told them that he would have told them when the job had to be done. With the falling tide the burning Petrol would be drifted out to sea. The men told King that they would do the job when he was ready.

On the 19th day of July, 1963 Vibert King went to the home of James Frank, a Fisherman of 238 South St., and asked him if he wanted a job to do with this boat at 6 o'clock the afternoon. Frank did not agree to take the job. King told him that he would return. On Sunday, 21st July, 1963 during the morning hours, King went back to Frank and asked him to lend him his boat and engine. He told King that he could not do so because he made a living with them. Following this Vibart King told Clement Thompson of his efforts to get the boat from James frank to be used in the operation of sinking the Russian Ship.

The British Guiana Rive Marketing Board has buildings, equipment and stock valued at $9,827.95 at Water St., Georgetown. The buildings include wharf where goods are received in the country and rice is exported. On 21st July, 1963, a Russian ship MITSHURINSH WAS MOORED AT THE WHARF with imported goods. The wharf was watched by Security Guards employed by the B.G. Rice Marketing Board. Flood lamps were provided to illuminate under the wharf.

At 6.00 p.m. the security men turned out to work under their Foreman John Alli. They could get the flood lamp lighted, hence under the wharf was dark. They had at their disposal small boats in which to travel under the wharf. They did not go there then as the tide was high. At 7.30 p.m. the guards went under the wharf and checked for suspicious persons and explosives. No suspicious person seen and no explosives were found. At about 8.15 p.m. that date they went on the wharf to take their meals. No one was left under it. They went back about 8.30 p.m. and continued checking. Between 9.30 p.m. and 10.00 p.m. there were four explosions which damaged part of the building. Machinery, stock and equipment to the value of $5,000:-. A search was made under the wharf, no suspicious person was seen and nothing was found. Captain Stafford an expert in explosives, is of the opinion that about 44 sticks of gelignite were used to cause the destruction.

In 20th July, 1963 Clement Thompson had told his brother-in-law Roy Headley, that he had a big job to do to collect about $120:- On the 22nd July, 1963 at about 7.45 a.m. Clement Thompson said to Roy Headley "Like I put you out". He was then asked by Headley what he meant. Clement Thompson said that he did the bombing the night before at the Rice Marketing board. He had gone to Kingston Koker with Joe Younge (Malcolm Williams) and saw Hamil Joe there. They took two hours to go to the spot under the wharf to work and to go away from the place. He had carried the explosives in Halls tins, timed and connected them while Joe Younge (Malcolm Williams) was watching with him under the wharf. They left there, and while he was on his way home at Ruimveldt he heard the explosions.

On 23rd July, 1963, during the afternoon hours, Clement Thompson was at home with his sister Margaret Thompson at Agricola Village. E.B.D. Whilst there he told her that he and Joe Young (Malcolm Williams) blew up the Rice Marketing Board Wharf. His sister asked him if he was not afraid because people were working there, he then said that no one was at the spot to be hurt. He mentioned then that Richard Ishmael, L.F.S. Burnham and Peter D'Aguiar were the persons who organised the set up. He got the news that they were searching for him in Georgetown so he telephoned Mr. L.F.S. Burnham who told him that he must not go to the station, he must allow the Police to pick him up. Clement Thompson had also mentioned that whenever they to on a job they were given a revolver to walk with. He was given the job to set explosives on the Russian Ship but he did not want to do it as persons on the ship would be killed.

On the 24th July, 1963, at 5.30 p.m. Clement Thompson told Roy Headley that he was going to Richard Ishmael to collect $60:- to $70:- as commission. On the 26th July, 1963 Clement Thompson who was brought in for inquiries, made a statement to the Police. He said that he was at Agricola at 7.35 p.m. on the 21st July, 1963, and he went to bed there at 10.30 p.m. He had seen Malcolm Williams in Georgetown before he returned at Agricola. Malcolm Williams was also brought in for inquiries. He made a statement in which he mentioned that he arrived in Georgetown from Agricola at about 8.00 p.m. after which he took a bath and went to Plaisance where he slept with his reputed wife. His going to Plaisance was not surpported by his reputed wife Ruby Ambrose.

On the 30th July, 1963, Vibert King took Clement Thompson to the office of Llewellyn John at Croal St., and introduced him to John as a member of the organisation. On the 3rd August, 1963, at about 2.30 p.m. Clement Thompson was at the Belvedere Hotel. Whilst there he met William Carto whom he had seen on several occasions at the Hotel. At that time he, Thompson was in company with Vibart King, Wendell Bobb and Basil Blair. William Carto asked him if he could use a diving suit. He said that he never used one. Carto then told him that he wanted him to blow up the Russian Ship, which is at the Rice Marketing Board Wharf. He Carto had wanted him to do the job the night before.

Thompson told Carto that the job was a difficult one. He Carto told Thompson that he would give him a diving suit to dive and put the explosives under the ship by the engine room and by the propeller shaft. Thompson said that he could do the job although hit was difficult. Basil Blair gave him $25:- and told him that Vibart King would give him instructions about blowing up the ship. Later King told Thompson to go to the home of Patrick Gill at Bagotstown to collect the explosives. Malcolm Williams and Clement Thompson were promised $400:- each to do the job by King.

Thompson went to his home at 84 Second St., Agricola, on 3rd August, 1963, at 8.30 p.m. and later went to the home of Patrick Gill at Bagotstown, E.B.D. There he met Vibert King and Gill. They showed him a large tin containing 200 sticks of dynamite and a watch. They showed him how to set the watch and to connect wires to it which were already attached to the explosives. There were a piece of rope and an iron weight,. They instructed him to go to the ship by sailing down the river from Bagotstown to Georgetown, and anchor the explosives under the engine room of the ship or under the propeller shaft. Vibart King had shown him $500:- and told him that the amount of $400:- was for the job and an amount of $100:- was bonus.

Shortly after a lad arrived and the two men spoke to him (the lad). They told the lad to go with Thompson to blow up the ship and they would give him some money and $25:- per week bonus. They mentioned to Thompson and the lad that the job must be done before 3.00 a.m. on Sunday. King and Gill took the two men to the waterside at Bagotstown, showed them a boat and told them to use it to go and do the job. They were each given a loaded pistol by Vibart King and were told to return to Gill's home for the explosives.

They left the waterside together walking towards the road. On their way Thompson told the lad to ask for money. The lad asked King for money and he gave him $10:- in the presence of Tho9mpson. On the road they separated. Gill went to his home, King drove away in a car. As Thompson and the lad were walking along the road, Thompson told him that the job was dangerous and they must not go to do it.

At about 4.30 a.m. on Sunday, 4th August, 1963 while Thompson was at home at Agricola, Vibart King went to his home with motor car PE 71, King told him that he had started to celebrate too early. He had been awake at 3.00 o'clock but did not hear the explosion, so he came to him to find our why the job was not done. King asked him to go with him to the home of Patrick Gill. They went out on the street and entered the motor car PE71. Thompson met the driver of the car and another man whose names and addresses he does not know. They drove to Gills's home in Bagotstown. At Gills's house King and Gill had a quarrel. King told Gill that if Thompson did not go on the job he Gill and the lad should have gone. Gill said that the lad did not turn up too, and he did not know anything about river work. King then took away the loaded pistol from Thompson and carried him home with the car, He (King) mentioned then that he was going back for the explosives in the day with another car. A few days after King met Thompson and told him that the owner of the car was questioned by the Police and that it would appear as if the chauffeur gave out information, so he would have to bump off the chauffeur, to prevent more information from going out.

Motor Car PE 17 is registered in the name of Edna Straker of Lot 8 D'Andrade St., Newtown, Kitty. The car was given to Harold Hayes of 22 Saffon St., to be used as it was bought for him. This car was parked at Saffon & Broad Sts. By Hayes at 11 p.m. on 3rd August, 1963. On the following day at 8.00 a.m. he found it there. He did not give anyone permission to use it between that period.

On the 14th August, 1963 at about 8.30 a.m. Vibart King told Clement Thompson that the man that gives money for payment for work done was in Trinidad. The man should have come the day before but he did not arrive. At about 8.45 a.m. on the same day King took Thompson to the Chambers of Llewellyn John at Stabroek House where they met. King told Llewellyn John that he had brought Thompson to him for money. John told him that the man who should have brought the money was in Trinidad. The man should have come the night before, 13th August, 1963, but the man was expected to arrive on the very day (14/8/63). A meeting would be held at congress Place on the night of the 14th August, 1963 to decide on payment because Thompson and Gill were supposed to be paid every week but they had no money to pay them.

On the 14th August, 1963, at 8.45 p.m. while Constable 5289 Allan was on duty at Camp Street., keeping surveillance on Congress Place, the Headquarters of the People's National Congress, he observed that a meeting was being held there. The meeting concluded at 10.25 p.m. He recognised the following persons as they were leaving the premises:-

L.F.S. Burnham
John Carter
Stanley Hugh
Dr. Ptolomy Reid
Llewellyn John
Eugene Correia
Dr. Richmond
Hamilton Green
There were other persons whom he did not recognise.

On the 26th August, 1963 at about 9.30 a.m. Patrick Gill went to the home of Clement Thompson at Agricola and told him that he required to attend a meeting at the home of Dr. Reid at Bel Air Park at 5.00 p.m. on that very day. At about 4.30 p.m. Thompson went to Bel Air Park where he enquired for Dr. Reid and found him in an apartment under his house. He did not know Dr. Reid so he enquired from him (Dr. Reid) if he was the person. Dr. Reid told him yes and asked him if he had gone there to attend a meeting. He told him yes. Dr. Reid gave him a seat and asked him for his call name which he (Clement Thompson) gave.

At 5.15 p.m. a man went there with motor car PC 739. He was later identified as Ivan Williams. Shortly after John Alsender, one Smith, Vibert King and Patrick Gill arrived and entered the Apt., Dr. Reid commenced the meeting. He stated the reason for holding the meeting was to get to know them. They had a discussion about men who were employed and unemployed. Smith and John Alsender were employed and Thompson was unemployed. Dr. Reid promised to get a job for Thompson at the Water Front as he said that he did not want him to be out of town. He asked Thompson how much money he would need per week while he was unemployed. Thompson told him $20:- per week as he had a girl and a child to maintain. Ivan Williams had said that arrangements were made on the other side, but that this was new arrangement and they would pay him $20:- per week. Gill would take the money to him every week.

At the meeting Vibart King said that every man in the organisation should have a gun. Dr. Reid agreed and said that they looking after that. Alsender said that the men from Georgetown should be sent to the country where there was dynamiting to be done. Dr. Reid & Vibart King finally agreed that it would be unwise to send men from town to country, because the country people would quickly spot a stranger in the area and the men would not know the movements of the people in the area, but the men were working in Mc Kenzie, Corentyne and other places. Dr. Reid had decided not to blow up the Govt. Oil Tanks at Kingston anymore because it would be dangerous, many lives would be lost, including lives of members of the Party. He mentioned that when the Cuban Ship arrived they would have to blast it up because they did not want any communist goods to come into the country and they would make an example to show results to the American people. Patrick Gill reported that he has thrown away 380 stick of dynamite and Dr. Reid enquired if they could have been recovered. Ivan Williams said that they had a bridge to be dynamited on the E.C. Demerara. The meeting concluded. John Alsender, Smith & Ivan Williams remained in the room while the others were told to go outside by Dr. Reid. The men were kept in the room for some time and finally they all left.

On the 31st August, 1963 at about 10.30 a.m. Clement Thompson saw Smith at Middle St., Georgetown. They had a conversation and Smith told him that he had been given the job to blow up the bridge at Belladrum; he had gone there and had blown up the bridge.

On 31st August, 1963, Vibart King was brought to Police Headquarters by Superintendent Britton. He was told that he had set explosives to the Rice Marketing Board Wharf on the 8th June, 1963, in the company with a man known as TALL BOY. He was shown the maroon handbag which was found under the wharf and was also told that he had taken the explosives there in that bag and another one. He was told that he had tried to hire men to set explosives to the Russian Ship which was at the Rice Marketing Board wharf on the 3rd August, 1963 and to destroy the Govt. Oil Tanks with explosives. He denied all the allegations but said after he was cautioned that he was an executive member of the General Worker's Union. He worked at the Sanitary Laundry at Princes & High Sts. He left on strike on 19th April, 1963 and had not resume since. During the strike he visited Transport House, a Union Hall, at Urquhart St., and the Belvedere Hotel. He knew Richard Ishmael and Thijis. He had driven in Thijis's car PA606. He went to de Freitas' wharf several times and he knew Patrick Gill. A statement was taken from him in writing. He refused to sign or initial the scratches.

On the 2nd September, 1963 at 9.15 a.m. Clement Thompson took Superintendent Britton and the Police Photographer Corporal 5284 Talbot to Eping Avenue opposite the Cigarette Factory showed them a pole and told them something. Photographs were taken of the power pole. The films were processed by the photographer.

On the 3rd September, 1963 Superintendent Britton brought Patrick Gill to Police Headquarters. There he was told that information was received that he and other had set explosives to aqueducts at Hersetelling and Mocha on the 10th July, 1963. The men who worked with him were not working according to instructions so he had gone to Hamilton Green on the morning of the 10th July, 1963 to discuss the matter. He was also told that he was concerned with a plot with Vibart King and others to set explosives to the Russian Ship which was at the +Rice Marketing Board Wharf and he attended a meeting at Dr. Reid's home where plans were made for an organisation that set dynamite to buildings. He was cautioned and he said that the had worked at Pln. Diamond as a carpenter from 1950 with Edgar Payne. He became a foreman with him and later became a contractor. He was a member of the Amalgamated Building trade Union. He visited Transport House, a Union Hall during the strike and attended meetings there daily. He got to know Vibart King there and met him several times after. They had often discussed strike matters and politics. He had visited Belvedere Hotel too.

After the strike he went back to Pln. Diamond on the 8th July, 1963, but he was told by Goolcharran and Eugene Carrol to return. He went back when they were repairing the aqueducts which were damaged by explosion. He did not get any work. He was the only man from his section who had gone on strike at the Plantation. He knew Hamilton Green had visited him at Congress place at Carmichael St., several times before and after the strike. He could not remember his movements from the 10th July, 1963. He attended a meeting at Dr. Reid's House at Bel Air park of the 26th August, 1963. At lighting time Ivan Williams and others attended. He did not know anything about dynamiting.

On the 7th September, 1963, John Henry Thijis was found at D'Aguiar Bros. He was told by Superintendent Britton that one day during the month of June 1963, he had taken Vibert King and another man to de Freitas Stond Crushing Plant and had offered the man money to set explosives to the ship Makouria. The man did not accept the job. He was cautioned and he made a statement which was taken down in writing. The statement was read over to him and he said that it was true and correct and he signed it. He denied offering the man money to blow up the ship Makouria. He admitted knowing Vibert King whom he had driven in his car several occasions and who had visited him several times at de Freitas Wharf. He had visited the Union Hall at Urquhart St., to get strike relief as he was on strike.

On the 11th September, 1963 at 9.00 a.m. Superintendent Britton saw William Carto at the Govt. Information Services, Hadfield St. He told Carto that the Police was in receipt of information to the effect that on Saturday, 3rd August, 1963, at about 2.30 p.m. at Belvedere Hotel, he was in company with Basil Blair and others. Whilst there he asked one Thompson if he could use a diving suit and he (Carto) had promised to give him a diving suit to be used to set explosives under the engine room of the Russian ship which was in port in the 3rd August, 1963. Basil Blair had given Thompson $25:- as an advance and told him that Vibart King would give him instructions about the blowing up of the ship. Carto was informed that prosecution may be brought in the matter and whatever he said would be taken down in writing and may be given in evidence. He said that he would not give a written statement but mentioned that he knew Basil Blair, a school teacher, who had recently left British Guiana for Switzerland on a scholarship, Vibart King, a trade Unionist, and Patrick Gill. They had met almost every day during the strike at the Union Hall, Urquhart St., and at Belvedere Hotel. He had visited Vibart King at his house but he cannot remember asking him (Thompson) to set explosives to the Russian Ship. He added that after the strike he went back to Belvedere Hotel one Saturday afternoon when they had a celebration. He had seen King, Gill & Blair there but had no recollection of discussion anything with Thompson. He added that he had no discussion with Thompson.

This investigation is incomplete as the man known as TALL BOY, the two men from Alberttown, Smith and the man who threw the bomb in the house of Cyril Seepaul were not found. Apparently they are hiding. Their addresses are unknown. Efforts are being made to find them. In the meantime, Thompson is being used as an agent to obtain information. In my opinion he too is involved in the setting of explosives to aqueducts at Mocha and Herstelling. Efforts will be made to get statements of confession from him in relation to these and the explosions at the Rice Marketing Board which occurred on 21st July, 1963.

(signed) P. BRITTON, SUPT

     HOME                       <<<  PAGE 1                                TOP                            PAGE 3  >>>                         
© 2001